

Title of Session: Hurricane Expo Planning
Moderator: BJ Berquist
Title of File: 20060131planning
Date: January 31, 2006

Room: TI Mini Expo Group

BjB sighs happily...this is a much better start to our expo than the last meeting, right, Em?!

DavidWe smiles

KeithEE: it's nice to meet you as well

BjB: first, I suppose we need to define what this expo is to accomplish...any thoughts?

EmilyW: yup

JoanW: A collaboration of areas, and personnel to

EmilyW: Joan and Keith, have you both seen the Hurricane Help Central room?

BjB: anyone remember why the group was started in the first place?

JoanW: Yes

KeithEE: no

DavidWe believes he does

BjB: we wanted to provide resources and help for the teachers and students displaced by the hurricanes...do you agree, David?

BjB . o O (because we have a couple participants new to the discussion and planning, let's do introductions)

JoanW: Hurricanes are a great start, but you might want to think in the future about any natural disaster that displaces students, and teachers, etc.

DavidWe: Yes, exactly, BJ

BjB . o O (because we have a couple participants new to the discussion and planning, let's do introductions)

EmilyW: BJ and I have discussed other disasters too

BjB: I'm an art teacher in Pennsylvania.

BjB: Keith, can you please introduce yourself?

BjB: Joan?

EmilyW: I am on helpdesk at Tapped In and like to research information on the internet

JoanW is Assistant Director of PATH - Pupils Ask, Teachers Help - an educational non-profit org. dedicated to assisting students in grades 1 thru College with homework/research needs.

KeithEE: I'm a college student learning to be a high school counselor

JoanW: By profession I'm a YA/Reference Librarian

DavidWe: I'm a HelpDesk volunteer for Tapped in and help teachers learn more about technology for education. I'm in New Jersey near New York City

KeithEE: but I'm going to change for a while and become a high school math teacher

JoanW: Good for you Keith!! I can tell you firsthand that there's a great need for Math, plus the counseling aspect will also help those (like myself) who just can't cotton to Algebra!

BjB: I invited Joan to join Tapped In and the group because PATH provides online homework help...and I felt this was something that we could really use as part of our resources for the teachers and kids we're helping

JoanW: Path NEVER charges!

JoanW: We could be with a student for 10 minutes to 2 hours. Doesn't matter to us. We just love to help kids! We're all background checked too!

KeithEE: its free that's cool

BjB: PATH is going to be a large part of what the expo is going to offer. I'm hoping that we can get Tapped In members to volunteer to be homework helpers in PATH

JoanW: We NEED the help, desperately!

EmilyW: What help do you need the most with?

BjB: we also want to have teachers mentor the teachers who have overcrowded classrooms

KeithEE: is there some place I can go to look it up more?

JoanW: Keith our website is <http://www.pathwhelp.org>

BjB . o O (can we just outline what we want the expo to cover before we get swamped with details?)

JoanW: I should be quiet and help you guys with your expo

JoanW: I love to help.

DavidWe smiles

DavidWe: That's a good thing, Joan

BjB: there is a group room for PATH in the Student Activities Center

EmilyW: what is the group room for?

JoanW: Can I ask what the history of your expo is/was ?

JoanW: Perhaps that can be a starting point to the goals of what you wish to accomplish with the upcoming one?

BjB: so...we want to provide help for teachers and students displaced by the hurricanes

BjB nods to Joan

BjB: the expos were started after the last summer Tapped In Festival...

EmilyW: there has only been one expo so far

BjB: the members of the group decided that we needed to focus more on the tapped In groups

JoanW: I would think you'd divide by educational level?

JoanW: Because the needs of an elementary student might be different then HS?

BjB: right, Em...the last expo was for preservice teachers

BjB: yes, Joan, we can do that, but we still need to flesh out the larger picture first

BjB: and set the dates

JoanW: Okay - I'm getting an idea Consider Tapped In resources as the "fema" to educators.

JoanW: or the TEMA in this instance

BjB: I'm looking at the third week in March

JeffC hopes TI does a better job than FEMA.

BjB . o O (are we allowed to say FEMA to those teachers?)

JoanW: You know it will!! You guys are organized!

KeithEE: that's good did you just come up with that?!?

JoanW: Yes I'm great with brainstorming

JeffC: Not unless you want to get virtually punched Bj.

BjB: I also like TEMA.

BjB: what does it stand for?

JoanW: Tapped in Emergency Management Association

KeithEE: cool

BjB: consensus?

JoanW: I would also list the months that hurricanes hit, and the states they normally hit

EmilyW: Teachers Emergency Mentor Association

EmilyW: just brainstorming

JoanW: Cool, Emily !

EmilyW: we probably need Tapped In in the name

KeithEE: that's good to!

BjB: the title can be Tapped In TEMA

BjB: I also like the use of Mentoring

BjB: everyone have a calendar available?

JoanW: yes

BjB: o O (we can have as many meetings as we want...and form committees if you want too)

BjB: once we get the basic outline formed

KeithEE: yes

JoanW: Okay, Purim is on the 14th

EmilyW: I don't know how much I will be able to help out with this and attend meetings

JoanW: So, you might want to do it after the 14th of March

BjB: I'm shooting for the third week in March

JoanW: March 16th?

JoanW: That's the eve of St. Paddy's day ?

EmilyW: march is the month of spring breaks for schools

JoanW: Thursday is usually a good evening for most?

BjB: we can take the whole week if you want...the expos use the threaded discussion board as well as have real time chats

JeffC afks (son needs the computer for a bit).

EmilyW: could we make it the whole month? or 2 weeks?

EmilyW: it won't fit everyone's schedule

BjB: so we could have a discussion in the PATH room explaining what Path is...and then perhaps break down groups by grades

BjB: I wouldn't go longer than a week

EmilyW: ok

KeithEE: ok

BjB: kind of forces people to focus better

EmilyW: members are going to be confused with path being on the student campus

KeithEE: might get more done to

BjB: so set the dates for March 20-25?

JoanW: That sounds good to me!

BjB: no more than they do with FIRST Robotics, Em

EmilyW: ok

EmilyW: are the threaded discussions going to be in here, group rooms, or the hurricane group room?

BjB: that time frame gives us time to repeat sessions too at different times

BjB: the threaded discussions are going to take place in the hurricane group room

EmilyW: I can probably help with the threaded discussions

BjB: we can choose topics and put folders on the discussion board for each topic

BjB: one person I'm already talking with is doing a hurricane digital memory bank

EmilyW: how did you hear about that?

EmilyW: that is such a good idea

BjB: on a list I subscribe to

JoanW: Can you contact the National Weather service, and invite one of their experts to the expo?

BjB: so far, we have help for students....PATH

BjB: request for volunteer teachers for PATH

BjB: request for teachers to mentor teachers in the SAC

EmilyW: now we need help for teachers

KeithEE: I was just typing that!

BjB . o O (and perhaps collaborate with groups in the sac)

BjB . o O (SAC = student activity center)

BjB: how else can we help the teachers?

EmilyW: we should also figure out a way to give teachers ideas to teach about hurricanes

EmilyW: I already have added a bunch of links

EmilyW: with that

JoanW: That's why I suggested having someone from the National Weather service

KeithEE: answer questions that they might have

JoanW: they must have a division that works with schools.

BjB: we already have those links...right, Em...and that does go well with that, Joan

BjB: I'll look into contacting the national weather service

BjB: any other ideas?

BjB . o O (we do have a lot of links in the group room on all kinds of topics)

EmilyW: I have another idea, but I am not sure if it could work

BjB: oh...one that I really feel is very important...school counselors

EmilyW: we have someone who created the counselor group, she might be able to help, I don't remember her name

BjB: those teachers and kids are just starting to experience the post traumatic stress.

KeithEE: how about evacuating info to teach the kids as to why they do it

JoanW: What about school psychologists?

BjB: Barbara Muller Ackerman, Em...but she hasn't answered any of my emails

DavidWe . o O (curious that)

JoanW: To build on Keith's idea, how about a checklist to watch students that might be susceptible to PTSD

BjB: that would be good Joan. Keith, do you have resources to help us with counselors?

DavidWe: She was going to contact colleagues in the Gulf Coast region, but..

JoanW: Or a workshop on how to spot students who might have emotional problems in dealing with the aftermath.

BjB: David, can you try to contact Barbara? She's in NJ

JoanW: Many won't talk it out, so the teachers are in the trenches and spot things first.

KeithEE: I wish did but I'm just a newbie first semester back since being in the military.

BjB nods to Joan...any of that type of discussion would be good..but it has to be led by someone with the knowledge to advise

BjB: what about your professors, Keith?

JoanW: You must have someone on staff?

EmilyW: I think we need to figure out what teachers/educators would like to learn about

KeithEE: yeah I can ask! what exactly are you looking for?

EmilyW: I can always find more resources to add

JoanW: Okay, just found this - might be a help

BjB: we need someone who can give advice to teachers on what to look for as far as depression, etc. in the students displaced by the hurricanes

JoanW: <http://www.americanhospice.org/articles/takinginnewstudentskatrina.htm>

BjB: we have a lot of links already...Barbara has done quite a bit of work on that

DavidWe: I can try, Bj, but I'm not sure why she would return my emails, but, I'll try

JoanW: That's from the American Hospice Foundation.

BjB: it's the opportunity to talk with a real person ...if you all get a chance and haven't done so already, go to the Hurricane Central group room and read the post to the discussion board from the teacher in NO

BjB . o O (under My Story)

BjB: the stress is palpable

BjB: is lesson plans too simple?

KeithEE: no

JoanW: No

EmilyW: lesson plans for what?

BjB: so the teachers can have a place to grab a quick idea

BjB: . o O (take some of the planning stress off of them)

EmilyW: for lessons?

EmilyW: ok

BjB: we can add resources like Marco Polo too

EmilyW: how are we going to spread the word about all this?

BjB: ahhh...good idea, Em

BjB: I'll be writing an article for the Feb Tapped In newsletter

EmilyW: I am on a bunch of e-mail lists

EmilyW: a few education related

BjB: I'm sure among all of us we cover about all the lists!

JoanW: Have you thought about designing a flyer - placing it in your resources in a pdf format, so teachers can pass it out to their colleagues?

EmilyW: I could do a flyer

EmilyW: I just need the info on what to include

JoanW: Invite them to the Expo and to join Ti if they're not a member already.

BjB: I'll write a summary of this discussion and get it to you, Em.

EmilyW: I think it is also important to describe the group and the resources

BjB: but I don't think we'll have details ready until we meet one more time at least

BjB: we can put information about the expo on the welcome screen in Reception

KeithEE: i have to go but I'll pass this info on to some of the professors and students, then get back to ya.

BjB: and Patti or Zaz may be able to put up a webpage for us to link to

BjB: Let's plan for the next meeting before we lose Keith

EmilyW: another idea, didn't you want to do service learning

BjB: ?

EmilyW: I am sorry, project based learning

BjB: can we meet next Monday at 7pm EST?

BjB: . o O (Feb 6)

EmilyW: probably

KeithEE: ok

BjB: that time available for you, Keith?

JoanW: Fine by me - put it on my calendar.

BjB: great.

KeithEE: see yall later

BjB: . o O (I know Em needed to leave early too)

BjB: thanks, Keith

BjB: ahhh...maybe something with Linda Ullah who leads the PBL discussions, Em!

BjB: good idea

KeithEE left the room (signed off).

EmilyW: I see lots of websites saying what educators/teachers need

EmilyW: like donations and stuff

BjB: we have quite a few good ideas...let's go with them and develop them further

BjB: could that be something for the threaded discussions, Em?

EmilyW: yes

JoanW: How about a list of who to contact for donations - i.e., companies like 3M or local places, ideas.

EmilyW: can the threaded discussions begin?

BjB: yes, the threaded discussions can start any time

BjB: we have a few of those resources, Joan

JoanW: okay - great

BjB: I don't think we want to focus on STUFF

JoanW: Oh, don't forget the WHOA-KTD

BjB: we want to focus on emotional and social support of educators...

EmilyW: ok

JoanW: Is that applicable to the expo?

EmilyW: because I know some people wanted textbooks and other things

EmilyW: related to education

BjB: it is related to ed and we do have some resources...another threaded discussion?

BjB . o O (topic)

EmilyW: yes

EmilyW: I gotta go

EmilyW left the room (signed off).

DavidWe wonders what the next steps are

BjB: Joan, do you want to work on some ideas to present Path?

JoanW: I'll speak with Pat, as she has a presentation ready to present

JoanW: I'll ask her to be here for your next planning meeting.

BjB nods. Good. We can even do that before the expo and then repeat it during the expo

JoanW: Pat taught some of the displaced students in her town in Georgia

JoanW: for 3 weeks.

JoanW: So she can tell things from a personal perspective.

BjB: so she is familiar with what they are experiencing

JoanW: Very much so!

BjB: it's horrible

JoanW: She lives in Northern Georgia, and her area, took in about a dozen families

BjB: it's hard to understand how families who lose everything can survive...and yet the human spirit continues

DavidWe: What part of Georgia? DO you know, Joan?

JoanW: It's Hiawwassee

DavidWe has been to Rome (northwest GA)

DavidWe smiles

JoanW: I put in one too many w's

JoanW: She told us a story about one of the young men

DavidWe: Does anyone know of any education oriented groups that are trying to do things?

DavidWe: I got the name of someone at the Foundation for the South - I've got it in my notes, somewhere

BjB: OK...I'll go over the script and write up a summary that I'll post to this group room and to the hurricane central group room...

JoanW: David, PATH was contacted by Dr. Margaret Spellings to work with the kids via computer in the shelters.

BjB: and invite comments and suggestions.

DavidWe: That's great, Joan, that she contacted you

DavidWe: Where did that idea go? Do you know?

JoanW: We had quite a few kids use our rooms

DavidWe nods

JoanW: We never asked them because we figured they went through enough, just to know they could get some extra help via online.

DavidWe nods

BjB: we'll meet again next Monday, Feb 6 at 7pm EST

DavidWe nods

DavidWe: Is it on the calendar, Bj?

BjB: any last comments, questions?

BjB: not yet, David...give me a minute and it will be

DavidWe nods

DavidWe: Thanks

DavidWe: Helps me

DavidWe: Nice to see you again in TI, Joan

DavidWe goes to broil some chicken

DavidWe: Have a good evening, folks

JoanW: You too!

DavidWe smiles

DavidWe goes afk

JoanW joined the Mini Expo group

JoanW: I'm sure you have it but I'm going to ask

JoanW: Do you have peer to peer help for students helping students

BjB: we have a helpdesk in the student campus...

JoanW: with regard to students displaced by hurricanes, making friends and keeping them through

BjB: but no student members

JoanW: being in the new school system, and then going home and staying on contact, like a lifeline.

BjB: I've asked teachers to recommend students, but so far no one has submitted any names

BjB: we don't want the kids to log in with regular memberships

BjB: because then they will be able to enter the main TI buildings

JoanW: No, I understand that - but what about doing something with the kids down the line?

BjB: I think that the Teens for TI helpdesk is a start...all we need are the teens

BjB: or perhaps your student teachers?

BjB: instead of helpdesk we could call it Teens in the Hood?

JoanW: Lol

JoanW: I'll pop on during the rest of the week - I'm going to explore

BjB nods. Thanks for joining the discussion tonight

JoanW: Thank you for allowing me /PATH to participate

JoanW: Take care

JoanW left the room (signed off).

BjB left the room.