

Title of Session: TI Festival 2005 Planning Meeting

Moderator: BJ Berquist

Title of File: 20050323planning

Date: March 23, 2005

Room: TI Festival Group Room

BjB: Then I think we should get started...

DianneA: Can I also apologize because I haven't had time to do the excel spreadsheet of slots for volunteers yet

BjB: not a critical problem at this point, Dianne...still lots of time

BjB: did you want to bring up anything else while we have you here?

DianneA: but I did become settled from the discussion the other day that we do not need to push for more activities, there will be plenty enough and of enough diversity to showcase TI and reach some depth

BjB: I know Emily has some things she wants to discuss

DianneA: thanks Bj, but no, at this stage I don't have anything else much to contribute

BjB: Emily, can you review your idea about the open house and how we can do that?

DianneA: I'll just brainstorm as it goes, but if I go quiet you will know why

BjB: . o O (and Emily also wants to discuss a blog session)

EmilyW: I am not sure if any of you read my message

EmilyW: but I was thinking of using one of the public rooms

EmilyW: to showcase groups that do not have sessions at the festival

DianneA: Yes Emily, I noticed, and I thought your idea was a good one, a bit like a poster session at a proper conference

DianneA: I wasn't quite sure how it would work

BjB: Mary, your TUT group will need to know about the Open House Showcase so they can point people in the right direction

MaryFT nods

BjB: Dianne, I think it would work if we put featured passageways to each office that will post information about a group

EmilyW: we would have to contact group owners to see if they would want to participate

DianneA: Ahh, of course!

EmilyW: and then have them post information about their group and any other information in their office

DianneA: and the offices be set up with 'fresh' notes!

BjB: and the office will have a featured passageway back to the open house room

DianneA: the public space might need a note explaining how to join groups

EmilyW: it's also a good way for people to see what offices can be used for on TI

BjB nods to Dianne

DianneA nods to BJ

EmilyW: that was my general idea

MaryFT: good idea Emily

BjB: I'll get out a message to the discussion leaders and see who wants to participate in that, Emily

SandraS joined the room.

BjB hugs Sandy

DianneA waves to Sandy

BjB: glad you could join us!

SandraS hugs BJ back

SandraS waves to all

BjB: lots of new NWP members, Sandy

SandraS: many apologies for being late

EmilyW: who all gets these messages about their groups participating in the festival?

SandraS: great!

BjB: Emily, I have a list in my address book of all the people who lead discussions in Tapped In

EmilyW: (I haven't received anything and I am a group owner)

BjB: but that doesn't go to all the groups, obviously

EmilyW: I want to include ALL groups

EmilyW: or at least public ones

BjB: I'll have to see if I can broadcast to all group owners

EmilyW: the purpose of this is to get groups who do not lead discussions

EmilyW: (and ones that do too)

BjB: right

BjB: worst case would be an article in the April newsletter

EmilyW: there's not a way to e-mail all the group owners?

BjB: I'm looking, Emily...so far, I've not found anything

BjB: . o O (600 groups!)

SandraS head spins at thought of all those groups....

EmilyW: a lot of groups that aren't active

BjB nods.

BjB: Wonders if Dianne is going to renew her Western Pacific Rim group

EmilyW: I just don't know how many group owners read the newsletter

BjB: . o O (since it's on the April calendar that this is where they will meet)

BjB: Emily, the newsletter goes to ALL tapped in MEMBERS

BjB: we can't make them read the stuff

EmilyW: I've never gotten one

DianneA: Yes Bj I have done that, but just to have an open one available for Helpdesk Tips etc

DianneA: I have concluded that geography is insufficient for group life here at TI

BjB: depends on the group.

BjB: K-12 has over 200 members

DianneA: and their leader?

BjB: and K-3 Resources has a lot of members

BjB: Marielle Palombo

DianneA: Both those are issues based groups

DianneA: I was trying to capture Australians in the Australian timezone

SandraS: BJ, has anyone from NWP contacted you about doing something for festival?

BjB: no, Sandy. I wish they would

DianneA: not enough reason with computer mediated communication

BjB: . o O (especially with all their new members)

SandraS: I'll check with them and see what we can come up with

BjB: great, Sandy

SandraS: would be perfect venue to do something with NWP

BjB: Dianne, I disagree...webheads are a big group

DianneA: but independent of geography! I was basing the group on geography

BjB: ahhh...yes, you're correct. But there have been a lot of new members from Korea and Taiwan lately

DianneA: silly really, CMC breaks down limits of geography and time

BjB: mostly ESL teachers

DianneA nods

DianneA: about 35 of them ran over me a week ago and if it had not been for Venny's help they would have had a very poor idea of TI

DavidWe joined the room.

SandraS waves to David

DavidWe: Hi

BjB hugs David. We're trying to figure out a way to contact all the group leaders

DianneA waves to David

BjB: so far I've only come up with the newsletter

BjB: I'll put something in the blurb for the April calendar too

BjB: will that be ok, Emily?

EmilyW: where in the April calendar?

EmilyW: still send it out to discussion leaders

DavidWe: Make a mailing list for them?

EmilyW: that's what I was thinking David

BjB: the topics for the calendar get mass mailed to all TI members

BjB: I'll have to ask Patti if I can broadcast to all the groups.

EmilyW: where would it be on the calendar?

BjB: it wouldn't be on the actual calendar...it would be on the email that everyone gets about the April calendar

BjB is curious to know why Emily didn't get the newsletter that was mailed last week

EmilyW: oh ok

EmilyW: was it in meetme?

BjB . o O (On the Tapis)

EmilyW: I've never received it

BjB: Emily, go to <http://tappedin.org/tappedin/web/newsletter/>

BjB: I'll work on contacting the group leaders. Did you want to talk about blogs next, Emily?

EmilyW: well the blog idea was your idea

EmilyW: I am not really sure what you had in mind

BjB: I had the thought that we could use a blog with the open house idea

BjB: to make it seem more immediate

EmilyW: what type of blog?

BjB: . o O (I know nothing about setting up a blog)

SandraS: can you explain a bit more BJ?

DianneA: So we would have a discussion running in the open house public room which would be a bit like a blog?

EmilyW: I only know how to use blogspot, and that is easy to setup

BjB: right, Dianne

DianneA: sorry for the typos, too excited!

EmilyW: there could be more than one blog

SandraS: ok, here's another idea or two

BjB listens

SandraS: there's an event that happens in the blogosphere periodically

SandraS: bloggers blog for a 24 hr stretch for some cause

SandraS: we wouldn't have to do something like that

SandraS: but we could have a group blog

SandraS: or a page with links to any TI member who has a blog

BjB is glad that we don't have to go for 24 hours!

SandraS: where they might blog about TI on their blogs

EmilyW: that's an idea

EmilyW: oh and another idea

EmilyW: this open blog about writing what they learned or enjoyed at TI festival

BjB: Elizabeth is going to help us with the webpage

SandraS: NWP has a license with Manila which is a great blog interface

EmilyW: (I am not really sure what I meant about open blog)

SandraS: maybe they would be willing to have a TI festival blog

BjB: perhaps that could be their contribution to the Festival, Sandy

SandraS: any TI member could join it, write on it

SandraS: in addition to a page with links to individual TI members' blogs...

DianneA: sounds exciting!

SandraS: I will check with them

SandraS: a good thing for TI would be that the blog would provide a more qualitative assessment of the festival

SandraS: and TI

EmilyW: I know there is going to be a session on blogging

BjB . o O (all these webpages with links is out of my comfort zone...but since I'm the chairperson, I don't have to do anything...just let everyone else do all the work!)

SandraS applauds BJ's superlative delegating abilities

BjB: I think Webheads are doing blogging...or it may be BlogStream with Bee Dieu

EmilyW: I think having way too many links would be too much

BjB agrees with Emily.

EmilyW: unless it is mentioned in the newsletter asking if members have blogs or something

SandraS: NWP has a whole technology component and is ramping it up

SandraS: seems like they'd be eager to work with this

DianneA: I also like the idea of the discussion option in the public room operating like a blog for the festival and capturing people's responses openly, that would supplement the process in the certificate form, and have the benefit of the open brainstorming approach. Again we would probably need to have a note in that public room about how to join discussion and in this space and what this one is for and how long it will run ...

EmilyW: we could have different blogs

EmilyW: one for each session, or each entry would be a new session

SandraS: if there were one central TI festival blog, anyone who joined it could add his/her blog link to the group blog

SandraS: less work for one person

SandraS: collaborative knowledge sharing

EmilyW: how would they add their link?

DianneA: By all means keep the responsibility with the participants!

SandraS: with manila, it's very easy

SandraS: with Blogger it only works if folks get invited to co-author

DavidWe left the room (signed off).

EmilyW: right

SandraS: y'all comfortable with me talking to NWP folks about this idea

SandraS: of a collective blog

BjB: I'm in favor of that, Sandy

EmilyW: are you wanting to help with the blog part? or just to talk to them about the idea?

DianneA nods

SandraS: I need to first just talk to them

SandraS: find out if there's interest

SandraS: see if they can donate space on Manila

EmilyW: I can look at some other places

EmilyW: and see if I can find anything better

SandraS: because technology liaisons are part of each National Writing Project site, there might be a ready made group of folks eager to put a project together

EmilyW: ok

SandraS: I can tell you , Emily, that you won't find anything better

MaryFT: sounds good Sandra

BjB: Emily, it would be really nice if NWP worked with us on that...since they are a tenant org of TI...

SandraS: Manila comes out of RadioUserland

SandraS: and it's geared toward education

BjB: and since our theme is COLLABORATION

EmilyW: ok, I've never heard of them

SandraS: I've used several different blog interfaces

MaryFT: looks sorta like a Wiki?

SandraS: and Manila is really great

SandraS: not really, Mary

SandraS: looks more like a sophisticated webpage

SandraS: with shared links, email capability

SandraS: almost like a TI group but with a webpage

BjB: you may need to train us in using Manilla, Sandy

SandraS: guess that would explain

SandraS: it's very userfriendly

MaryFT: v. cool...I'm reading about it now but I've never used it

SandraS: it costs, which is why I don't use it in my classes

SandraS: but NWP uses it for its projects, because they have a license

EmilyW: do users have to sign up on it to write messages?

SandraS: not sure, Emily....I've only used it in projects through NWP

SandraS: don't know how it would work with larger userbase like TI festival

EmilyW: ok

SandraS: but that's where NWP folks could help, I'm thinkin'

BjB: Our next meeting is April 13..I already have it on the calendar...

BjB: does that work for everyone?

SandraS nods

BjB: perhaps by then Sandy will have more information for us

SandraS: absolutely

MaryFT: I'm looking forward to learning more!

BjB: did we discuss all the concerns everyone had? answer Questions?

SandraS: me too!

BjB: Sandy, did you read the WebTools transcript Mary did with Pam Berger on Camtasia?

SandraS: no...

EmilyW: the logo is finished, I am not sure what we are going to end up using that for

BjB . o O (that sounds like something you'd love!)

SandraS: cool...will check it out...thanks!

BjB: Emily, we have to put it on the webpage!

EmilyW: besides the webpage

BjB: if there's nothing else to discuss, I'm going to head to the social studies forum. Let's put the logo on the certificates

EmilyW: ok

SandraS: great idea!

SandraS: thanks for the meeting....I'm heading out to helpdesk....

EmilyW: I am going to go, bye

SandraS: take care everyone

BjB waves goodnight. Thanks for all your help and input everyone