

Title of Session: Tapped In Festival 2005 Planning Meeting

Moderator: BJ Berquist

Title of File: 20050309planning

Date: March 9, 2005

Room: Tapped In Festival Group Room

DianneA: Hi Yvonne, Mary and Allison, looks like we are having a Houston day here?!

MaryFT: TUT day actually!

AllisonHu: Yep!

DianneA nods

MaryFT: TUT = Teachers Using Technology at UH

BjB: terrific! Glad to have you join us for this meeting!

EmilyW: I was just going to say- 4 from TX in here

BjB: shall we get started?

BjB: any old business we need to discuss?

DianneA: I need to start to set up some times for the TUT-UHS to be HD for CCC Festival

BjB . o O (we'd officially like to welcome TUT to the TI Festival Team)

DianneA waves to Emily, sorry I hadn't noticed your connection

BjB: is TUT going to be running the Cafe?

AllisonHu: Thanks!

DianneA Nods vigorously

MaryFT: Thank you...we are very glad to be here

DianneA: I hope TUT will be involved in cafe, and other roles as well

BjB nods to Dianne

MaryFT: we can help out wherever, whenever

BjB: have all the TUT volunteers participated in a tour?

EmilyW: (not really connected, I am in another city)

DianneA dusts off her excel spreadsheet to start the rostering process, even though it is a bit early to do that

MaryFT: We are scheduling orientation sessions for our members that are still newbies...but most of our members use TI frequently

DianneA: I haven't set up a tour time for them yet BJ, but it is on my to-do agenda

BjB looks to see if the 10 steps to having a successful discussion are posted in here

BjB nods to Dianne

DianneA: sometime soon now as they say in IBM

BjB . o O (10 steps is featured on the welcome page)

DianneA sits on her hands while BJ checks what else is happening, needs to be done

BjB: has everyone looked at Emily's logo designs?

MaryFT: Yes

MaryFT: I am partial to tilogobw1.gif

BjB: any feedback?

SusanR: Not yet

YvonnePH: I apologize I have not looked at the logo design

DianneA: Yes, my vote is for the volcanic eruption

BjB: they're under files, Sue

SusanR: Thanks

BjB smiles. That is supposed to be a party hat, I think, Dianne

AllisonHu giggles a little

EmilyW: it is suppose to be a party hat

DianneA blushes bright red!

SusanR: I like the party hat

DianneA: interesting the way we interpret visuals ...

BjB . o O (maybe if you tilt the hat a little and make it a bright color, Emily)

MaryFT: I agree that color will be an essential element in the logo

EmilyW: I am actually thinking about finding another party hat to use

DianneA: must be my geologic background, and my non-party preference

BjB: I'd take the lettering out of the hat and have it separate.

DianneA: Good idea BJ

BjB: that would make it more adaptable to different sizes...like using it for "bullets" to mark events

MaryFT nods

EmilyW: I was going blank on the colors to use so I decided to make it in black and white first

AllisonHu: They are both really neat

SusanR: Neat

MaryFT: red, yellow, orange say "party" to me

MaryFT: primary colors

BjB nods solemnly

YvonnePH: bright colors for sure

AllisonHu: maybe even some lime green.

YvonnePH: Please remind me of the Festival date?

SusanR: What about retaining the Tapped In Logo?

YvonnePH: purple and lime green

BjB: July 20

YvonnePH: now that's fun

YvonnePH: thank you

BjB: it's on the welcome note, Yvonne

BjB . o O (date and time)

EmilyW: I was thinking to have the text in the graphic because it could be used again in the future

EmilyW: I tried using the ti logo, but could not get it to work right, it was too blurry to use

BjB: see what other hat graphics you can find, Emily. Maybe something will work better

EmilyW: any other ideas for a graphic?

MaryFT: are there other symbols that could be used to suggest communication, collaboration?

EmilyW: besides a hat?

EmilyW: I was originally thinking a computer

BjB: good idea, Mary. I had suggested the hat because this is a festival...I wanted to have something fun

YvonnePH: I like a computer

BjB . o O (computer in a party hat?)

SusanR is checking her Clickart Image collection

AllisonHu: I was just about to say that **BjB**

YvonnePH: what about a computer with a party hat on the top (tilted)

MaryFT: two computers with faces "talking" to each other?

MaryFT: in party hats?

EmilyW: or have 2 computers connecting

AllisonHu: Nice idea Yvonne

EmilyW: Then on the computer screen put tapped in (I can try to use the ti logo)

YvonnePH: I like it

MaryFT: sounds good

BjB: Can you work on that, then, Emily? and then post to the discussion again when you have something for us to look at

EmilyW: yes I will

BjB: great. Thanks

BjB: I sent an email to all the discussion leaders in TI

BjB: and got some positive response. Leni Donlan is going to do a pre-festival tour of the LOC site

BjB: and then do another event during the festival about one of the LOC programs

DianneA cheers for Leni

BjB: Leslie Farmer, who does Targeting Librarians, will be in China and isn't sure about her connectivity

BjB: but she'll let us know

DianneA: And Jeff has put his hand up for a much extended session ...

DianneA: is that still a goer Jeff?

BjB: I've started a table for pre-festival, festival, and post-festival events

SusanR: Jeff's extended session sounds exciting

EmilyW: it does sound exciting

BjB: someone had suggested a scavenger hunt. I'm wondering if that would be something TUT would like to be in charge of?

DianneA: oohh games as well! nearly like TI-1!

MaryFT: I like the idea of a scavenger hunt

BjB: Bill Hilton is on the schedule at 5pm PDT

SusanR: Neat

DianneA: I think that it a great idea

MaryFT: would we collaborate on the questions?

MaryFT: developing the questions?

BjB: what do you think, Mary?

DianneA: I'd like to help there Mary

SusanR: prizes ????

SusanR: I am still contemplating a topic..save me a time slot, Bj

DianneA: I have been using some awards from PPT backgrounds and templates with my pre-service teachers

MaryFT: I think we could come up with some questions that would help new and even experienced users make the most of their TI Festival experience

BjB: I'd love to give prizes...any suggestions?

DianneA: they could be developed into prizes

SusanR: Back to School with Teacher Web Tools...my topic

DianneA: a bit like the certificate

BjB: Sue, do you want 4pm PDT?

BjB: or earlier in the day?

BjB Nods to Dianne

SusanR: That's fine?

JeffC: Sorry... been afk... I'm still interested in doing an extended presentation/workshop.

BjB: would you like that to be in your office, Jeff?

BjB . o O (since you have so many resources there)

JeffC: Yeah... my office would be good for that.

BjB nods to Jeff. Just let me know what hours you want

BjB: Yvonne suggested that the group would like to do a session on storytelling

JeffC: ok

YvonnePH: we could host it in the TUT room

BjB: is that a group room or an office, Yvonne?

SusanR: TUT stands for...

YvonnePH: Teachers Using Technology

SusanR: aha

MaryFT: Digital storytelling and its applications to the content areas (using primarily MS PhotoStory)

YvonnePH: thanks Mary

BjB: that would be great. Do you have a time slot in mind?

BjB: later times are filling up quickly

BjB: you can get back to me later if you want to think about it

YvonnePH thinking

YvonnePH: I will get back with you

YvonnePH: thanks

MaryFT: TUT has a group room

BjB: we have to have all festival events in public rooms so guests can access

BjB . o O (guests can access a personal office)

MaryFT: o i c

MaryFT: Yvonne has an office I believe

BjB: we can schedule you in the hot tub or the comfy conference room or the arcade, or the tree house

MaryFT: choices, choices...how 'bout the tree house?

BjB: up to you. Most of the festival events will take place in the public rooms on the first floor

EmilyW left the room (signed off).

BjB . o O (it's easier to get people to those rooms)

MaryFT: Tree house it is then

YvonnePH: Great

BjB: I suggested Jeff's office because he's going to be speaking for more than one hour

MaryFT nods

SusanR: Comfy Lounge for me

BjB Nods to Sue

SusanR: if at all possible

BjB: got it, Sue

SusanR: Thanks

BjB: so, the schedule is moving right along

BjB: publicity is the next topic

BjB: I'm a little overwhelmed by what Gail suggests, but I know she's right

BjB . o O (Gail Hoskins wants us to contact major education suppliers or groups...)

BjB: and have them 'sponsor' the festival and do publicity

BjB . o O (If I understand what she said correctly)

SusanR: like Scholastic and Houghton Mifflin etc

BjB: the sponsors could offer prizes

BjB nods to Sue

MaryFT: good idea!

SusanR: software prizes

AllisonHu: oooh, I like that idea\

DianneA puts her PPT awards back in her pocket - the competition is a bit too stiff round here

BjB: who wants to contact some of these groups and put out feelers?

BjB grins. Don't file them too far away, Dianne!

BjB: Michael is our Publicity Chair...would you like to contact him and work with him, Sue?

MaryFT: I think Susan wants us to contact Edmark

DianneA: so you ought Sue

SusanR: I just meant Riverdeep

BjB: he can probably come up with some ideas too

BjB . o O (maybe ISTE and ASCD)

SusanR: some educators would love a FREE membership to Brainpop

YvonnePH: I would!

SusanR: or mathstories

MaryFT: me too

SusanR: starfall as well

DianneA brushes off her google to check out all these marvelous resources

BjB: Don't forget we need to coordinate efforts. We don't want organizations contacted by more than one person

BjB: there is a publicity folder for the discussion board

SusanR agrees

BjB: are there any other topics we need to discuss? Any new business?

BjB: TUT is scheduled for 1pm CDT for digital storytelling

DianneA: I can't think of any, and I am greatly encouraged by these exchanges today .. it's a real buzz, BJ

BjB: you're going to work on the scavenger hunt?

MaryFT: great!

AllisonHu: TUT will work on it.

BjB smiles and agrees, Dianne

MaryFT: Yep...I've read some of Gail's ideas for questions...sounds doable

BjB: thanks, Mary.

MaryFT: and we'll have some members ready at Help Desk?

BjB nods. We'll need volunteers at helpdesk, in the Cafe and in each of the event rooms

DianneA: I need to confirm the structure on the day for the Helpdesk roster

BjB . o O (lots of room for everyone!)

DianneA: I was a bit concerned that we might have overstretched ourselves with SAC as well, what's the latest on any planning there?

BjB: thanks for the reminder, Dianne....

BjB: Jeff has put out feelers.....we shouldn't have to do anything in the SAC

BjB . o O (I can help Jeff train any kids we get....and it may be moot)

BjB: although Patrick seems interested

BjB . o O (PatrickC)

BjB: Jeff, did you make a post to the K-12 Students group?

BjB . o O (I forget where your last post came from)

BjB . o O (perhaps Jeff will get back to us on that one)

BjB: anyway, I don't think it's a concern, Dianne

BjB: almost the end of the hour. Any comments? Questions?

DianneA nods

MaryFT: Nope...just excited about being involved

AllisonHu: Looks like this is going to be great!

SusanR: Sounds like we are well on our way!

BjB smiles. Festival is always great! Each year gets better and better.

BjB nods to Sue.

BjB: next meeting?

DianneA: BJ might I have a folder in TI Festival for Helpdesk planning?

BjB: March 23 same time? That's a Wednesday

AllisonHu: OK with me

YvonnePH: Okay with me

MaryFT: works for me

DianneA: OK for me

BjB: done, Dianne

DianneA: thanks BJ

BjB: Thanks, everyone

BjB: see you in two weeks

MaryFT: take care

DianneA: Thanks Bj, everyone

AllisonHu waves goodbye to all

YvonnePH bye

DianneA: I'll be in touch with TUT soon

SusanR: Take care!

BjB heads for the ASO