

Title of Session: Festival 2005 Planning Meeting

Moderator: BJ Berquist

Title of File: 20050224planning

Date: February 24, 2005

Room: TI Festival Group Room

BjB: Well, let's get started and we can catch up anyone who joins us

DianneA nods

BjB: you mentioned the publicity, Dianne

BjB: you had a lot of good suggestions, Emily

DianneA: I have nothing to contribute there BJ

EmilyW: thanks

BjB: and I think Gail Hoskins has mentioned this before...maybe this year we'll get it right...

DianneA: I was pleased that others were running with it so enthusiastically

DianneA listens

BjB: we need to do publicity BEFORE schools let out for the summer

BjB . o O (in the northern hemisphere)

BjB: and notify any print publications so we can be included in their coming events

BjB: any suggestions for that, Emily?

BjB . o O (leading & learning)

BjB: Educational Leadership?

EmilyW: I don't know much about print publications

BjB: maybe Gail will have some suggestions. We do want to get a webpage put up fairly soon

EmilyW: ok

BjB: we'll get it linked to the TI homepage

BjB: perhaps put teasers on it...something to make people keep checking

BjB: and a link to the calendar

EmilyW: ok

EmilyW: I had an idea to make a logo

EmilyW: which could be used both on the web and in print

BjB nods...love that idea, Emily!

DianneA blinks her eyes - logos!!!

BjB: we already have the Tapped In logo...it should be compatible with that

EmilyW: ok

DianneA: One forever? or one for each new festival?

BjB: I like one forever with just the year changing

BjB . o O (product recognition)

EmilyW: I was originally thinking one for each new one, but maybe one forever would be better.

DianneA: with a 'forever' one there will need to be a fair bit of consultation

BjB: we don't have to sign a contract or anything, Dianne...if people want to change the logo some year, I don't see a problem

DianneA nods

BjB: what are your thoughts, Emily?

MaryFT joined the room.

EmilyW: I am thinking.....

BjB hugs Mary. Welcome!

DianneA: after all 'forever' these days is lucky to be much more than three years

MaryFT: Sorry I am late!

DianneA: Hi Mary

EmilyW: each festival seems to have a different theme

MaryFT: Hello Dianne

BjB: we're discussing publicity and Emily has offered to design a logo

EmilyW: I was thinking of having one that would fit the theme

BjB: good point, Emily. I like that.

DianneA: yes Emily that's why changing the logo needs to be in mind

BjB: we want to start publicity much earlier this year...before schools let out

DianneA: and designing to the theme will allow, and suggest that to be the case

DianneA: so there is 'Tapped In' (unchanging), 'Festival' (unchanging) and 'theme' (changing)

EmilyW: it would be easy to have one and then make the changes for future logos

BjB hopes Emily is willing to make a long term commitment to us!

BjB: we need ideas for what to put on the festival page, Mary...in addition to the logo...that will keep people coming back to check on additions

DianneA: perhaps TI core, Festival first ring, theme outer ringish

EmilyW: I was thinking having a graphic that would suggest what TI is

BjB: Mary, we also want to see if we can get publicity in print magazines

BjB . o O (and if so, that needs to be submitted soon)

MaryFT: I think getting the word out is very important

MaryFT: print journals will reach a different audience than we normally appeal to as well

BjB agrees, although a lot of TI members read Leading and Learning with Technology

MaryFT: What about GLEF Edutopia (having just read mine this morning)

DianneA: How much do you think we need to have the structure of the Festival settled for indicating in the publicity? Or is that your idea of having something on the web page changing and keeping up the interest BJ?

BjB: good idea, Mary

JeffC joined the room.

BjB: that's the idea, Dianne...so people can see it forming and gaining structure

BjB waves hi to Jeff. Glad you could join us

JeffC waves... just got back from the dentist... my daughter had a tooth pulled.

BjB: yuckers...that doesn't sound like fun

MaryFT: and be able to help influence the development of the content?

JeffC . o O (poor little girl)

EmilyW: what if we asked TI members what print publications they read?

EmilyW: that would get some more ideas

MaryFT: excellent idea...interesting info as well

BjB: not so much to influence the development as to pique curiosity

MaryFT nods

BjB: I think if we poll the helpdesk staff we'll get a pretty good idea of what publications are being read, Emily

DianneA apologises - need to leave the keyboard for some grounds maintenance ... I stay in touch

BjB nods to Dianne

EmilyW: ok that's a good idea

BjB: any other thoughts on publicity?

EmilyW: we also need to start spreading the word to group leaders about topics

BjB: oh, thanks for the reminder, Emily.

BjB: I can send a notice to all the group leaders

EmilyW: also spreading the word on listservs

EmilyW: and which lists

EmilyW: I had suggested posting 2 messages

BjB: we want to stay away from the lists until closer to the festival...the lists get very touchy about too many posts

EmilyW: ok

BjB: we do need to iron out what we're going to do for certificates of participation, but we'll need to wait until Keiko can join us

BjB: I had one idea that I mentioned earlier to Emily...

BjB: I started a Helpdesk Group in the K-12 Student Campus

BjB: and invited some TI members to join...

EmilyW: what is this group?

BjB: with the idea that teachers can recommend advanced students to serve as helpdesk volunteers for the student campus

BjB . o O (this sounds like something you would be good at, Jeff)

BjB: I think the name of the group is Teens for TI

JeffC: You want me to mentor teen helpdesk members?

BjB: what do you think, Jeff? I want teachers to be involved

BjB . o O (we would only accept kids who were recommended by their teacher)

JeffC: I'd be happy to do it... just let me know.

BjB: just in case you're feeling 'group poor' Jeff, I can invite you to join that group

BjB . o O (and anyone else who is interested)

EmilyW: I am interested

JeffC: Yeah... I need another group!

BjB chuckles at Jeff

DavidWe joined the room.

BjB: Jeff, you need to contact Marielle Palombo

JeffC: Actually... when teaching newbies how to join groups I sometimes show them my profile and have them pick one (or more).

BjB: she leads the K-12 students in TI group

JeffC: OK

BjB waves hi to David

DavidWe waves

BjB: so...the idea that I had was that students could do tours of the SAC during the festival

DavidWe: that sounds cool

EmilyW: my concern was the fact that it was in the summer

BjB nods. That is something we will have to work around

EmilyW: I am not sure how many students would be interested at that time

BjB: let's get the groundwork done first and get some recommended teens...

MaryFT: if we sign them up now, they will probably participate in the summer

JeffC: Dave Sasso for starters

BjB: then we'll bribe them to be here during the festival

BjB nods to Mary and Jeff

BjB: Dave is a dear

BjB: I just think we need a place for those overachieving kids to have an outlet

BjB: maybe teachers would offer community service credit

DavidWe nods

DavidWe: Yup!

EmilyW: if something was going on at sac, would it just be students there?

BjB: ok...Jeff, you'll run with this one?

BjB: Emily, any TI member can enter the SAC

BjB: and teachers who bring their classes to the group rooms in the SAC might be interested in a teen led orientation in one of the studios

BjB . o O (peer tutoring)

JeffC: Yeah

JeffC: I'll mentor and train them... but need help getting kids lined up... I'm not in a K-12 loop now.

JeffC: I'll give Moderator status to my K-12 group (which is for demo purposes anyways).

BjB nods to Jeff. I'm not asking you to get the kids...I would like you to work with Marielle to get the teachers involved

JeffC nods

BjB: summary of topics we've talked about...

BjB: webpage with logo as prefestival publicity

BjB: need to work on print publication publicity

BjB: need ideas for webpage 'teasers'

BjB: get some kind of student tours of TI going

DianneA: each of the C's gradually revealed?

BjB: good idea, Dianne

BjB: Emily, are you taking care of the webpage ideas?

EmilyW: ok I will

BjB: need to contact Keiko so we can discuss certificates of participation

BjB: Dianne, you need to be in the loop on that one too

DianneA: yes please Bj

BjB . o O (maybe another folder on the discussion list)

BjB: Jeff is taking care of the student helpdesk volunteer idea

BjB: Mary, you have the contacts with preservice teachers...

MaryFT: Yes

BjB: did you mention that they might help with helpdesk during the festival?

MaryFT: My TUT students are ready to help out

MaryFT: several of them have volunteered

JeffC: I have to run and pick up my son...

BjB: or perhaps host a reception party in the CAFE during the festival

DianneA: Do you think they need to gather at a pre-festival session for Helpdesk to run through usual help to be given?

BjB . o O (party isn't the right word)

DianneA: party is the right word BJ

MaryFT: I think they would appreciate an orientation re: the expectations

BjB grins....party it is then...think your teachers would like to do that, Mary?

MaryFT: they would be happy to help out in any way...they are good at parties

BjB: that would be less formal...kind of an ongoing chat

DianneA: OK, I'll set at least one of those up, and how can I let your TUT people know Mary?

MaryFT: they have a group here at TI and a group in Yahoo

DianneA: can you send me the details/let me in here?

MaryFT: Yep

DianneA: thanks

BjB: David has usually been our host during the festival...kind of a floating moderator and man about town...you up to that again this year, David?

DavidWe treads water rapidly

DavidWe: Yup, floating is what I'm good at, most of the time

DavidWe: That sounds fine

DianneA: Dianne passes the Top Hat , white tie and tails

DavidWe . o O (Irving Berlin?)

DavidWe: I can even play that one

BjB: one year we had an awards ceremony after the festival...that was a lot of fun.

DavidWe . o O (on the piano)

DianneA: Of course, how young do you think I am

BjB . o O (that is when the Tappies were created)

DavidWe agrees that it WAS a lot of fun

DavidWe nods

DavidWe: Yup, the Tappies!

DavidWe has always assumed that Dianne is "younger than Springtime"

BjB: maybe we should think about another award ceremony as part of the post festival activities?

DianneA blushes

DavidWe . o O (oops, that's another musical and a different composer and lyricist)

DianneA: yes BJ, I am into celebration mode for 1005!

DavidWe . o O (1005?)

DavidWe turns the clock WAY BACK

BjB . o O (she's pre-hysterical?)

DianneA: R&H for you David, too excited on the keyboard - 2005 of course

DavidWe: Oh, okay. I have a book about the year 1000

DianneA: one thesis down and one festival to go

BjB: did I miss anything?

BjB: Emily, don't forget to use the publicity list to solicit ideas from the group for the webpage

BjB . o O (and I created a certificate of participation folder)

DianneA: when do we need to meet next

EmilyW: what publicity list?

EmilyW: I just added a message to the publicity folder

BjB: on the discussion board, Emily...that one

EmilyW: ok

BjB: fortnight, Dianne?

EmilyW: I am writing another message about the logo

DianneA: OK Bj

BjB . o O (not the 10th though...that's full)

EmilyW: for ideas

MaryFT: actually, I now have class on Thursday nights...any way we could do Wednesday?

BjB: what about the 9th of March ...that's a Wednesday

BjB: same time good?

DavidWe nods

MaryFT: this works for me

BjB . o O (need to schedule some meetings that can involve Euro members)

BjB: next Festival meeting will be Wednesday, March 9, at 7pm EST

BjB: great meeting tonight...I am PUMPED!

DianneA: OK for me BJ, is that the same time as this one was?

DavidWe . o O (Psyched!?!)

BjB: yes, Dianne

DianneA: ta

DavidWe: ta!